It is hard to imagine that an idyllic cruise to distant ports could be anything but the vacation of a lifetime. Like preparing for any adventure, you should take certain steps before you embark to ensure that you are prepared to handle any mishaps along the way. Our cruise ship lawyers offer the following tips to help you before, during and after your journey.
Medical Attention Abroad
In the aftermath of any medical injury, a ship’s infirmary will be less capable of providing care than a local hospital. To prepare for potential injuries abroad:
- Ask your travel agent before you go what medical treatment options will be available. Is the onboard physician licensed in the United States? Do the medical personnel speak English?
- Does the ship have the capability of conducting forensic examinations in the event of a sexual assault?
- Check if your medical insurance will provide coverage abroad. Medical evacuation to the United States can be extremely expensive. Many U.S. medical insurances are not accepted in other countries. The U.S. State Department recommends that you contact your insurance provider to see if coverage applies, and, if it doesn’t, obtaining coverage that does.
Personal Safety Abroad
Travelling to foreign countries in a post-9/11 world presents unique challenges. The State Department’s website can help you become acquainted with local customs and law. The State Department provides country-specific safety information to consider before your travels as well as tips for travelling abroad.
You can also sign up for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), a free service by the U.S. Government to citizens travelling abroad so that the State Department can more quickly assist you in the event of an emergency.
8 Steps to Take If You Are the Victim of a Crime on a Cruise Ship
Cruise ships can pack thousands of people onto one vessel. During the course of the cruise, a variety of employees, including butlers and cleaning staff, will have access to your cabin. Crimes aboard cruise ships are not uncommon. If you are the victim of a crime during the course of your cruise, you should :
- Immediately report, in writing, the incident to the security department on the ship.
2. Document who you reported the crime to, when you reported it and who was with you.
3. Obtain a copy of your written report.
4. Take photographs of the scene of the incident before it changes, if possible. Even if the scene has changed, take photographs.
5. Write down the name, address, and telephone number of each person who was a witness to the incident.
6. Visit the ship’s doctor to seek treatment for your injury.
7. If necessary, visit a shore-based doctor at the next port of call.
8. Contact an experienced lawyer to discuss the incident as soon as possible.
Our Cruise Ship Injury Lawyer App
Download our exclusive free Cruise Ship Lawyer application to your smartphone or tablet device and bring it on your cruise. Our app allows you to easily store and retain practically everything you might need to present to a lawyer representing your case. Through our app, you can:
- Capture and record data and photos about your accident or injuries
- Input and track injury related expenses
- Review incident response checklists to help you in a cruise accident
- Find the closest medical facility
- Place Skype calls from your device, even if you are injured at sea
- Submit a free case evaluation form to our team
- Contact our law firm
- And more…
Designed and launched exclusively by Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, P.A., the Cruise Ship Lawyer app has just about every feature you need if you are injured on your next cruise ship excursion.
Our cruise injury law firm has been representing the interests of maritime accident victims since 1971 and will protect your rights against negligent cruise ship companies.
An accident can occur at a moment’s notice and victims may not always be able to seek the help they need. When dealing with an accident at sea, matters can become even more complicated. An injury that occurs on the high seas or while ashore at a port destination may not be easy to report and adequate medical assistance may not be available. At Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, P.A., we know that a small injury from a cruise ship accident can quickly become tragic if the proper steps aren’t taken. We also know that many times, cruise ship personnel are directly responsible for these accidents. Our cruise injury lawyers understand the severity of an injury at sea and the unique intricacies of the law of the High Seas and will tirelessly defend your rights against negligent cruise line operators.
An injury that results from a slip and fall, assault, sexual crime or even unsanitary conditions onboard a cruise ship must typically be filed in Federal Court in Miami, Florida, pursuant to the terms of the Passenger Ticket Contract.
The maritime lawyers at our firm have defended victims involved in cruise ship accidents successfully for decades and understand all the ways in which cruise lines try to prevent victims from receiving the maximum compensation they deserve for their injuries and/or losses. Some victims never even file a lawsuit because they fear it will be pointless, especially since cruise lines try to impose stipulations for filing injury claims in their ticket contract. Our cruise injury lawyers do not let anything get in the way of protecting your rights. Our knowledge of maritime and admiralty law has taught us that in almost all cases involving cruise ship injuries, passengers and crewmembers that were hurt are entitled to money damages, medical care and lost wages. We work passionately to ensure that you and your loved ones receive these benefits and do not rest until the maximum recovery is attained.
Following a cruise ship injury accident, victims may be left in pain and emotionally distraught. We understand how trying the aftermath of a cruise accident can be and always strive to give you the personal attention your case needs and deserves, always making ourselves available to provide legal advice and support. Our cruise ship injury lawyers do not provide anything less than superior, aggressive representation so your legal rights will not be infringed upon.
Our firm is AV-rated, the highest distinction possible for ethics and professionalism, and we have also achieved the SuperLawyers distinction for our excellence in the field of maritime law. When you work with a cruise ship injury lawyer from our firm, you can rest assured you will have a trusted legal professional on your side working diligently to ensure your case resolves with the best possible outcome. Contact our cruise injury law firm today for a free consultation and give us the opportunity to fight for your rights.
Review our Cruising Guide
If you are interested in learning even more, read our firm’s top-rated “know-before-you-go” cruising guide “Unsafe on the High Seas” by Charles R. Lipcon. This guide is available as an e-book from Amazon (Kindle), Barnes & Noble (Nook) and iTunes (iPad/iPhone/iPod) for just 99 cents. The e-book format makes it a perfect travel companion to help you and your family enjoy a safer vacation. Now it is easy to have this resource at your fingertips if an emergency should occur while you are at sea.
Maritime Attorney Charles Lipcon
Featured in Good Housekeeping Magazine
The Cruise Ship Danger’s No One Tells You About