When you are working on a vessel in Massachusetts and you get hurt, what happens next? The answer to this question is going to vary depending on whether you are classified as a seaman or not, as well as how the injury happened and whose fault it was.

Cities We Serve in Massachusetts

Work on a ship or ocean vessel is often hard physical labor, which requires you to be in good shape. An injury can mean the end of your entire career, leaving you uncertain as to how your medical bills can be covered and wondering what you should do to protect your future.

It can be hard to even investigate how the injury happened in situations where you were offshore, but there are options available to you. A maritime attorney with Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, P.A. who has experience representing injured seamen can carefully review the circumstances of your injury and can help you pursue all legal avenues available to you for recovering compensation.

Maritime Injuries in Massachusetts

Massachusetts is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean on its east side. Maritime trade is one of the major sources of economic activity in the state, along with things like information technology, finance and renewable energy. Seven large bays shape the coast of Massachusetts, dividing Massachusetts into distinctive regions with their own unique character.

Massachusetts is also one of the most popular places for tourists to visit in the United States. It is the sixth most common destination for foreign travelers from outside of the country, but the state also gets millions of tourists each year to locations including Salem and Plymouth. Foreign and local tourists may enjoy cruises leaving from Massachusetts or may partake in sightseeing on pleasure vessels off the coast.

Whenever injuries happen in the Atlantic Ocean or on navigable waters, those who have been harmed need to understand their rights. The process for making a claim for compensation and benefits differs dramatically depending on whether you were working at the time of the injury or whether you were on a cruise ship or tour boat. While maritime laws set the rules for recovery in both situations, seamen will make claims under the Jones Act, while victims of cruise ship or pleasure boat injuries will use tort laws to pursue their case for compensation.

Most victims are not sure exactly what the process involves for determining what laws apply when they are injured. Even knowing which court to make a claim in can be complicated if the employer that owns the vessel you were working on is located out of state or if the company that owns the cruise ship you were hurt on is governed by the laws of a different country.

An attorney at Lipcon, Margulies, Alsina & Winkleman, P.A. knows the maritime laws that apply whenever an accident happens aboard a boat or any offshore vessel.

How We Can Assist You

An attorney will advise you on what laws apply to your case and will help you move forward with filing a claim and proving your right to compensation. To learn more and to get customized advice tailored to the specific situation that caused you harm, give us a call today. Call 877-233-1238 or contact us online for a consultation.